Saffrina: Dog Trainer. Zoologist. Sailor.
So why did I decide to become a dog trainer? For the same reasons I became a Zoologist. I love scientific studies, behavioural observations, problem solving, and continuous learning. Mix that with a deep desire to help people, and create a better environment for all of us, two legged and four.
Field work as a Zoologist was exciting, and took me to some wonderful places, but most of my wolf work was conducted from a distance and there was little opportunity for me to create a positive change. Think more 'crashing through dense undergrowth collecting wolf-hair and fecal samples', less Jane Goodall - I never said it was glamorous.
In 2010 I decided to go back to school to become a dog trainer, and what originally started out as a part-time endeavor quickly took over my life - I loved it. I believe I have found my true calling and I will never look back.
Qualifications and Professional Associations
- BSc in Zoology from The University of Nottingham
- Dog Trainer Certification from the Dog Stars Training Academy
- Professional Member of the Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers
- Supporting Member of the International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants
- Diploma in Animal Care
- NVQ Level 2 in Animal Management
- Pet First Aid and Reiki Level 1
10 Random Facts About Me:
1. I've taken night classes in Sign Language, Belly Dancing and Welding.
2. I grew up with 15 dogs, ranging in size from 10lb to 90lb.
3. I've covered the coast of B.C. in a sail boat, but I've never drank wine in the Okanagan.
4. I was born in England, but tell everyone I'm Cornish.
5. I prefer to drink cider over beer (because I'm Cornish).
6. I used to played Field Hockey, Ultimate Frisbee and Roller Derby.
7. I can carve a birdhouse from a log using a chainsaw.
8. My first month in Canada was spent in Churchill, Manitoba, the next three months in Alert Bay.
9. I love eating prawns, but I'm severely allergic to lobster.
10. I can say “hello” in Mongolian....as well as “I would like a shower please”.
Jasper: Food Critic. Travel Buddy. Scorpio.
Originally a prairie boy who grew up on a Great Dane farm. What he lacks in height, he makes up for with a sparkling personality.
Loves chasing squirrels, patches of sunlight, and lamb meatballs.
Not a morning person.